I am a Computer Science PhD candidate (with distinction) at the University of Massachusetts Amherst (UMass) working with W. Bruce Croft. I am currently a research assistant at the Center for Intelligent Information Retrieval (CIIR). My research interests include various aspects of information retrieval (IR), recommender systems, and text mining. I am currently focusing on modeling the core IR problems, e.g., query representation, document representation, and ranking, via (deep) neural networks when large-scale training data is not available. I regularly publish at and serve as PC member in major IR venues. I am an ACM SIGIR Student Liaison, representing North and South Americas.
In Fall 2018, I teach CS646, the Information Retrieval course (PhD-level), at UMass Amhest. The course webpage is available here.
During my PhD, I completed two research internships at Google (summer 2016) and Microsoft (summer 2017). Prior to UMass, I was fortunate to be advised by Azadeh Shakery as a Master student at the University of Tehran, Iran.
- ACM SIGIR Student Liaison (representing North and South Americas) 2017 – now
- SIGIR 2018 Workshop: Learning from Limited or Noisy Data for Information Retrieval
- RecSys 2018 Workshop: ACM RecSys Challenge 2018
- Program Committee Member:
- SIGIR 2018, 2019
- WWW 2018, 2019
- WSDM 2018, 2019
- RecSys 2018
- CIKM 2017, 2018
- NAACL 2019
- ECIR 2019 (short papers)
- Workshops: EARS @ SIGIR 2018 – KG4IR @ SIGIR 2017, 2018 – NeuIR @ SIGIR 2017 – LEARNER @ ICTIR 2017 – RecSysChallenge @ RecSys 2017
- Journal Reviewer:
- Inf. Syst.
- H. Zamani, M. Dehghani, W. B. Croft, E. Learned-Miller, J. Kamps “From Neural Re-Ranking to Neural Ranking: Learning a Sparse Representation for Inverted Indexing”, CIKM 2018.
- H. Zamani, W. B. Croft. “On the Theory of Weak Supervision for Information Retrieval”, ICTIR 2018.
- H. Zamani, W. B. Croft, J. S. Culpepper. “Neural Query Performance Prediction using Weak Supervision from Multiple Signals”, SIGIR 2018.
- M. Aliannejadi, H. Zamani, F. Crestani, W. B. Croft. “Target Apps Selection: Towards a Unified Search Framework for Mobile Devices”, SIGIR 2018.
- H. Zamani, B. Mitra, X. Song, N. Craswell, S. Tiwary. “Neural Ranking Models with Multiple Document Fields”, WSDM 2018.
- H. Zamani, W. B. Croft. “Relevance-based Word Embedding”, SIGIR 2017.
- M. Dehghani, H. Zamani, A. Severyn, J. Kamps, W. B. Croft. “Neural Ranking Models with Weak Supervision”, SIGIR 2017.
- H. Zamani, M. Bendersky, X. Wang, M. Zhang. “Situational Context for Ranking in Personal Search”, WWW 2017.
- H. Zamani, J. Dadashkarimi, A. Shakery, W. B. Croft. “Pseudo-Relevance Feedback Based on Matrix Factorization”, CIKM 2016.
- H. Zamani, W. B. Croft. “Embedding-based Query Language Models”, ICTIR 2016.
- H. Zamani, W. B. Croft. “Estimating Embedding Vectors for Queries”, ICTIR 2016.
- More on the publications page.
- Purdue University, IN, March 27-28, 2019
- University of Texas at Austin, March 12-13, 2019
- Yale University, CT, February 28, 2019 Link
- University of Maryland, MD, February 20-21, 2019 Link
- University of Pittsburgh, PA, February 4-5, 2019 Link
- UMass Data Science Talk, Amherst, MA, October 24, 2018 Link
- Microsoft Research, Redmond, WA, September 18, 2018
- Google Research, Mountain View CA, March 21, 2018
- Amazon’s A9, Palo Alto CA, March 19, 2018 (with Bruce Croft and Qingyao Ai)
- Yale University, New Haven CT, March 2, 2018 Link
|Aug 6, 2018||Two full papers accepted at CIKM 2018! See publication page.|
|Apr 11, 2018||5 papers accepted at SIGIR 2018! See publication page.|
|Apr 5, 2018||I’ll be teaching the CS646: Information Retrieval course (PhD level) at UMass Amherst. Link|
|Mar 10, 2018||I will co-organize a workshop on “Learning from Limited or Noisy Data for Information Retrieval (LND4IR)” at SIGIR 2018. Visit the workshop website.|
|Dec 13, 2017||Now, a PhD candidate with distinction!|
|Oct 23, 2017||Our paper on neural ranking models for semi-structured documents has been accepted at WSDM 2018! See publication page.|
|Sep 1, 2017||Ching-Wei Chen, Markus Schedl, and I will organize the next year’s ACM Recommender Systems Challenge. Visit RecSysChallenge 2018.|
|Jul 26, 2017||Appointed as the ACM SIGIR Student Liaison representing North and South Americas. Link|
|May 30, 2017||Joining Microsoft to do research on deep learning for web search.|
|Apr 11, 2017||5 papers accepted at SIGIR 2017! See publication page.|